Think you have dating problems? Chick lit from the 19 th century is full of ‘em too. We gals just can’t seem to catch a break!
- All the most interesting men are either too poor and beneath you, too rich and above you, or rakes you’re not allowed to go near.
- You’re dying to waltz with the mysterious stranger in black, but the pretentious and bratty belles of the ball won’t let him out of their sight.
- You’ve just turned 25, and the “spinster” cracks are getting a little out of hand.
- Your father has been ruined, and the pressure is on to charm a rich bachelor since your older sisters were so selfish as to marry for love.
- You were hitting it off with this chap until he said, “Women voting? That’s ludicrous beyond belief!”
- You hear the approaching horse hooves of your suitor’s carriage, but you can’t find your favorite corset.
- At first you found his chivalry charming, but if he draws his pistol to “defend your honor” one more time, you’re going shoot yourself.
- You’ve analyzed his last letter to you 100 times for signs of his true character, but only see evidence of good penmanship.
- You accidentally flashed a bit of knee in the carriage with your sweetheart, and now your family’s reputation is on the line.
- Just when you and your beau are starting to connect, he decides to leave for India to make his fortune